Thursday, February 11, 2010

AHOY FOOD BLOGGERS

Good day readers, it is a breathtaking hot summer's day here today, not conducive to standing in the kitchen ;o)
We are calling all food bloggers and those wannabe foodies from across the globe. We know there are a lot of you……

We have been working frenziedly behind the scenes to plan the first South African Food Bloggers Conference…….not a MOB (meeting of Bloggers) but an actual conference (open to all food blogging platforms) that will include speakers and lunch etc. How exciting is that???? America has her Blogher Conferences and the UK in November had their first London Food Bloggers Conference. Both were very successful and informative events and it is this that has inspired me so much. Why should we be left out down here at the tip of Africa??The first seed was planted in my brain when I met up with Nina from My Easy Cooking and Taz from Cocoa for breakfast late last year while Taz was on holiday in the Mother City. We chatted about how entertaining and educational it must be to have one of these conferences and that it would never happen here. Once home I was thinking again about it and the seed began to germinate and a crazy little voice told me "There is no reason why South Africa should NOT have one. You do it"!!! Moi? Nooooooo!!! I was dragged kicking and screaming to the first little sticking a feeler out there chat with a potential speaker. And almost 4 months down the line here we are.....almost ready for the day!! Since posting the survey on my blog Kitchen Diary on the 1st February the interest generated has proven to be phenomenal, proving that there is a great need for this type of convention all over the world.

So the beautiful Mother city, Cape Town, is obviously the choice of venue for the first SA Food Bloggers Conference, not least for the fact that everyone currently involved in the organizing lives in and around the Cape peninsula (well excepting for one over the pond on mud island). We are a friendly lot and Cape Town boasts wonderful tourist attractions and we look forward to welcoming all our friends, exposing you to the fantastic fresh produce & wines coming out of our region and the overall beauty that is Cape Town.


The details for the conference are as follows:
Date: Sunday 21 March 2010
Time: 9.30 for 10am - 5pm (provisionally)
Venue: Giggling Gourmet's Cooks Playground
A buffet style lunch will be served by the Giggling Gourmet team
Keynote Speaker - Jeanne Horak-Druiff from the award winning blog Cooksister
Photography and Food Styling - the delightful and talented Nina Timm from My Easy Cooking
I am in the process of procuring the errr services of another couple of speakers so will update this again later.
Cost - R430.00 (including a goodie bag but excluding travel or accommodation expenses)

The venue can accommodate 100 delegates so please book urgently if you don't want to miss out on the blogging event of the year!

Our topics for the day will include
- getting started - the tecchie bits of blogging

- writing style & voice

- getting to know your camera

- the legalities and ethics of blogging

- food styling

- promoting your blog through social networking

- effective blogging - blog etiquette, schedules, comments & readers

- making money with your blog
 
 
The rest of the world has embraced blogging in their countries with many making a living out of getting the full potential for all their hard work that they put in from day to day. Join us to reach your full potential.
 
Looking forward to hearing from you. If you would like to attend leave me a comment and I will get back to you.
 
Colleen (browniegirl)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds very interesting. I will come back again and see what else is happening. Exciting iniative. Good for you! I hope it is very successful. I read about the London event and it sounds as though it was so beneficial and great fun

Jeanne @ Cooksister! on February 15, 2010 at 10:52 AM said...

Hey - we have our own blog now! How fab - Thanks Brownie :) Can't wait to get there now and meet all the people I know through their blogs, and share some of my experiences with you :)

Koek! on February 16, 2010 at 2:21 PM said...

Alas Colleen! I wish I had known about this sooner, but unfortunately I will be away celebrating my mother's birthday on the 21st (and having lunch at Marianas in Stanford - my all-time favourite restaurant, do yourself a favour). Otherwise I would absolutely attend! I'm really rather heartbroken...
(PS Loved reading through Kitchen Diary)

the V Team on February 18, 2010 at 11:38 AM said...

Hey Anonymous so glad you are interested. I do hope you come back again and I do hope you are going to attend. It promises to be very good.

Colleen

the V Team on February 18, 2010 at 11:40 AM said...

Jeanne we do indeed, things are hotting up here, lots going on behind the scenes. I am so looking forward to this. It promises to be good....will do an update today as I have a bit more to do on the speakers.
Colleen xx

the V Team on February 18, 2010 at 11:42 AM said...

Koek! Agge nee, I am so disappointed to read this. So sorry you will be missing out. BUT there will be others. I have plans up my sleeve to make this an annual event. Enjoy your Mums birthday. Mariana's is a must try for me. I have wanted to visit for a long time. One of these days....and thank you so much for your lovely comment re my blog. Appreciate it :o) xx

Whipping It Up on February 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM said...

HOW EXCITING!

Can't wait and thanks so much!

Am going to book immediately...

the V Team on February 19, 2010 at 4:22 PM said...

Thank you so much Whipping It Up. I got your booking :o)Its getting exciting, have a great weekend xx

Unknown on July 22, 2010 at 1:42 PM said...

Cape Town’s most popular areas include Camps Bay, Clifton, V&A Waterfront, Llandudno, Hout Bay, Green Point, Sea Point & City Bowl. CapeHoliday.com provides the best accommodation in these areas, and many more.
camps bay accommodation

cape town accommodation on July 24, 2010 at 3:06 PM said...

Cape Town, apart from being the capital of South Africa, is also the second largest and the most populous city in the country. It is therefore, becomes a must for the holidays visitors to plan a visit to this city whoever is there in South Africa. Holidays in Cape Town can always be a rocking affair as there are several good places and exciting things to do for one. It is mainly for the scenic view of this city and its advanced lifestyle that people gets easily attracted to it.
camps bay accommodation

 

My Blog List

Site Info

Followers