Monday, February 22, 2010

HEAVENLY APPLE PIE

This morning passed in a very pleasant way. I took some time off from conference convening and had a little tea for some "old" friends. A wonderful excuse to make my heavenly apple pie. Two of the couples present are ex-pats visiting from Los Angeles and Texas so it was a wonderful reunion. This is an old family recipe that I have sadly neglected in the last few years but yesterday when I was feeling very tired with no desire to bake it suddenly came to mind at the last minute as I was about to go and see what I could buy for tea!!!! (HORRORS!!!) I think everything inside of my baker's heart rebelled against that idea so late last night found me in the kitchen whipping up my heavenly apple pie. The aromas that accompanied me to bed after midnight were enticing to say the least. I served it simply on a plate with a dollop of whipped cream. It was so delicious I thought I would share it with you.  I am, after all, a food blogger and that's what food bloggers do :o)

HEAVENLY APPLE PIE


125ml Granulated Sugar

60g Butter - at room temperature

Vanilla Bean Seeds - just a knife tip

3 Jumbo sized Eggs

30ml Milk

250ml All purpose or Cake Flour

5ml Baking Powder

1ml Salt

1ml Ground Cinnamon

1 Can Pie Apples

For the sauce:

1 Can Evaporated Milk

60g Butter - at room temperature

250ml Granulated Sugar

Knife tip of vanilla bean seeds



Preheat the oven to 180deg Celcius

Grease a deep pie dish well with butter

Beat the sugar, butter & vanilla well until light

Beat the eggs until very pale and thick

Mix the eggs into the batter

Sift the dry ingredients together then fold into the batter

Add the milk and mix through

Turn the mixture out into the greased pie plate and level

Place the apples on top of the cake mixture

Bake for about 30 minutes until lightly browned on top and a skewer inserted comes out clean



Ten minutes before the cake comes out the oven make the sauce as follows:

Boil together the ingredients in a saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes - stirring all the time

and watching that it does not boil over or burn

Once the pie comes out the oven prick it all over with a fork or skewer then pour over the boiling sauce

a bit at a time until it is all absorbed by the cake

Serve at room temperature with whipped cream, ice cream or custard!



Enjoy,
Colleen xx

0 comments:

 

My Blog List

Site Info

Followers